8.6.07

goodbye Flo ...

Well yesterday saw a end to a big era in my life - we made the decision to finally scrap my campervan (affectionately known as Flo) and sending her to the big scrapyard in the sky.

I bought Flo about 5 years ago for a very reasonable price and she has been a great van for touring about in and doing festivals even though at times she would over heat and had funny quirky things about how she operated - it all added to her character!

After Greenbelt last year - Steve was driving her home and her engine blew - the garage assured us that it would be a case of fitting quick replacement engine and then we would be off again - they proceeded to do nothing about it and so she has sat in their garage rotting away all winter.

I feel quite upset about getting rid of her and strangely attached to what is actually a block of metal and oil ...why is this?
why have i formed such a strong attachment to an inanimate object?

I have decided that it signifies a loss, not just of a possession but of a freedom that somehow having a home on wheels gave me.
Having the campervan for me when I was a single person enabled me to travel around and feel safe when i locked the doors at night, Flo being scrapped some how is the final possession that was 'mine' that has been sacrificed now i am a married woman, my Independence gone and now accountable to another.


So thank you Flo for all the journeys and sights we have seen and for making my holidays and exploring safe





P.S. think Steve is secretly pleased as he was too long for the bed and so Flo mark II will be bought with his height in mind! and be assured there will be another van in my life...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Van is dead... Long live the Van... so how is Evey?

Anonymous said...

So how will we spot you at GB now then?

All the best in the hunt for another VAN, or perhaps a tent?!

Gayle said...

we have a new van - her name is Evey - we will be spot-able at GB!!