1.10.06

Work v leisure time?

Sunday evenings are my time to just be by myself - I usually watch the re-runs of west wing. This Sunday I also indulged in a little bit of without a trace' - a typical American cop drama. The theme, as ever, is: a teenage kid goes missing and the team of agents have to find them before they wind-up dead. Tonight there was an extra spin on it though - institutionalised racism.
2 kid go missing, one is a white girl, one is a black boy. The white girl gets all the publicity and media focus, all the agents are pulled of the black boys case and put on to the white girls case and so on. This is challenged at various points through-out the programme but nothing happens to change it. The programme ends with us being told one is dead and one is alive and finishes with the chief approaching the 2 mothers to tell them the news - we never find out which one it is that has been killed.

Every working day I have to deal with institutional racism as part of my job - it is not normally that blatant though. It can be very demoralising and wearing working within a context that means you have to battle twice, may three or four times harder to be heard, to have achievements acknowledged, to ensure the black residents are getting their fair share of the deal in the area, to explain over and over why perhaps people need to think more creatively about engagement and barriers, why there might be a need for a specific service for refugees and so on.

Prior to working where I do - I had not really ever given a great deal of thought to these matters in the way I have to now, I know for me, whatever I go on to do with my life, having worked as a race equality officer has given me an insight into "Great Britain" I never would have had - not one I particularly like or am proud of either.
So despite Without a Trace being a little predictable and corny and too sugary sometimes - good on them for even thinking to raise the issue!

No comments: